Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Krispy Kreme, Bruno and Consumer Behavior

Here is the problem that I'm currently battling.


I live way too close to this place. 

I'm actually not currently battling this, but it already has defeated me. 
I just went and got 2 doughnuts. Alone. 
I really wanted 4, so at least I didn't give in to that part of it.
I've been wanting Krispy Kreme all day long. Since about 9 am.
 Finally at 8:00 I left to get some. And I was home by 8:15. 
So convenient! 

I usually keep my Krispy Kreme cravings down to once a month, 
but when I have a craving, it doesn't go away, so I usually give in.


Anyways, I haven't blogged in a while. 
Bruno the varmint is still living under the house. 
Jim called some kind of Wildlife Removal agency and they are coming February 1st or later. 
Supposedly, they try not to kill the animal so that it doesn't stink up our house.
That will be nice, and I think we're all excited to have him gone.

School is in full swing now, and I've already had my first test. I'm enjoying my classes a lot more this semester than I ever have. I've even been doing all of my reading assignments. For one class, we have to read the Wall Street Journal every day and I've really enjoyed that. It makes me feel smart to actually know what's going on. My last class that we had to read the WSJ, I dreaded it every day. 

I have an interesting marketing class called consumer behavior, and since all of us shop regularly, whether it be for groceries or clothes, I might as well share a few facts from my textbook called Consumer Behavior by Hoyer and MacInnis.

1. The average US household spends an average of $127 per day on goods and services.
2. Consumers born between the years of 1952 and 1971 spend the most money per year.
3. Consumers who buy one item impulsively are more likely to buy a second item impulsively.
4. For US retailers, shoplifting causes $41.6 BILLION in merchandise losses yearly.
5. The average shoplifting theft involves $855 worth of merchandise, whereas it's $312 in the UK.
6. There are more shoplifters in stores that are noisy, crowded, have little security, lax return policies, few salespeople, and hidden nooks and crannies.
7. Four MILLION children are alcoholics or problem drinkers.
8. Consumers who watch a lot of tv and find commercials realistic tend to be more materialistic than consumers who watch less tv.
9. Children are aware of over 200 brand names by the time they are in 1st grade. 
10. Add your phone number to the FTC's do-not-call (www.donotcall.gov) list to avoid telemarketers. You can also log on to the Direct Marketing Association's website (www.the-dma.org) and ask that your name and information not be sold to other companies.

No comments: