Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

33 Weeks

I came to the realization that I only have 33 weeks left as a student.

That is, in 33 weeks, I'll be all on my own. For only 33 more weeks will it be okay for me not to have a job or a husband. After that, it's all over. I'll have to get one of the two. :)

As of now, I will be jobless, homeless, foodless, and directionless in just 232 days. This puts a whole new twist on how I think of my life. As I enjoyed my canned tuna for dinner, I began to think about the fact that I'm not always going to have money for things like food if I don't have a job.

I'm hoping that's not really how it will work. Maybe the parents will let me live with them or help me out with food. Hopefully they won't let me starve. But really and truly, hopefully I'll get a job!

I was looking at the Fall job fair participants today and was completely overwhelmed with qualifications and resumes... and on and on and on. How in the world am I going to ever get a job?

Being a Human Resources major doesn't help anything either, because we work on problems like: to hire 60 sales people, you'll need 1747 applicants to apply in order to narrow it down and get the candidate you want. That is, the company would need about 32 applicants in order to hire one person, and that's just a regular sales associate position. I'm not sure if I'm talking HR jargon or not, but what I'm saying is that it's pretty darn hard to get a good job.

At job fairs, recruiters talk to hundreds of students. They might offer 30 interviews, and then narrow those interviews down to five people, then down to one or two job offers.

My human resources major might actually be hurting me because I know way too much about recruiting. I'm already nervous about the job fair that is over a week away. Oh, we also study the unemplyoment statistics. Those are pretty darn high as well. I have a higher chance of being unemployed than being employed.

Things are looking pretty grim for my near future.

help! i only have 33 weeks!

(I chose this picture to bring memories of happy times)

No comments: