Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cheddar, Elephants, The Golf Channel and Almond Butter

This weekend at the lake, I have learned a few interesting facts, and I thought I should share some with you so that you can sound really smart one day.

Has anyone ever wondered what the difference between mild, sharp, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese is? Well, I have too and I learned the answer. Mild cheddar has aged less than 5 months, sharp is from 6-12 months, and extra sharp cheddar is over a year and sometimes up to 5 years. That sounds slightly disgusting, but hey, it tastes good.

Elephants are the only animals physically unable to jump because they weigh too much. I'm not a huge fan of elephants anyways, so that doesn't bother me. I don't really like any large animals, like cows or bigger.

My aunt who was at the beach with a friend of a friend who is high up in Comcast who told her that the Golf Channel is the most-watched channel on cable tv. Everyone thought the man who thought up the idea of making a channel for golf was crazy, but he ended up doing very well.

Speaking of golf, my uncle told me that Phil Mickelson makes twice as much money as Brad Pitt. And I didn't even know who Phil Mickelson was.

And that leads me to think of Rosson (he plays golf too). I am hoping that he will someday make twice as much money as Phil Mickelson so that one day I will really come watch him play golf, as he will really be able to bribe me. I would be very supportive then.

And lastly, I have something that you should try. It's really good. It's almond butter.

You know, like peanut butter, but with almonds instead of peanuts. And it's really good. Almonds are so good for us, and although they are high in calories, they have very good fat in them and many other beneficial things in them. Actually, many of the cultures around the world who on average live the longest have diets that consist of many, many nuts. Almond butter is found at most grocery stores I would say, or you can make your own by blending at high speed some almonds with a pinch of salt and maybe a small amount of oil, depending on how you're feeling that day. To make it extra good, add some honey or even dark chocolate.