Saturday, November 6, 2010


I had a crazy thing happen today. 
I drove home this morning to come see Diddie and Andy.
I was really excited to come home! 

About halfway home, I stopped to get some gas on an exit. An older, white-haired lady came up to me while I was pumping the gas and asked if I could help her out with some money in order to make it home to Chattanooga. She had been up at a doctor's appointment in Knoxville and she stopped to get gas but left her purse in the bathroom and someone stole it. She didn't have her cell and didn't know anyone's number. She didn't smell very clean, but I figured that it came with staying out of town for a while and being sick, or whatever was wrong.

Sooo... out of the kindness of my heart (and because of her absolute helplessness/my naiveness), I offered to just give her a ride home and she could get her car later. I was headed to Chattanooga anyways, and it wasn't a big problem for me. She quickly agreed to this, saying that she just wanted to be home where she knew where she was. 

She got in my car, and off we went! I put my new Christian CD on, thinking it might spark a conversation, plus it's my favorite one. Oh, the ridiculous things I do sometimes!

We started chatting and she told me where she was from, and she was my grandmother's age. Then she told me she was from Sweetwater, and we realized that she is actually my Grandfather's mother's brother's daughter (so, Granddaddy's cousin).  That was interesting, and I was glad that I picked her up, being family and all!

We were right outside of Chattanooga, and my car started smelling a little funny. I kind of wanted to gag, but I couldn't put my finger on what the smell was. I hid my feelings about it until I couldn't take it any longer and I told this unnamed woman that I had to go to the bathroom and we pulled off. We both went in, and when I came back to the car, her seat, in my car, was soaking wet. 

Immediately, I knew what that smell was. Urine. 
Yes, oh yes, I said urine.

I didn't know what to do. It would embarrass her to go and like clean it up, and the smell probably wouldn't get out that fast. But knowing what it was, I really couldn't bear the thought of getting back in the closed car. 

She walked out of the gas station (visibly wet), and having nothing else to do, I got in the driver's seat and she got back in. And, off we went! 

I told myself, only 20-30 more minutes... I can do it. No big deal.

I gagged a few times but made myself mentally stop gagging and didn't think about it. I concentrated on talking to my new friend. After 45 minutes and slight confusion as to where we were going, we arrived at her apartment in a part of town that I didn't even know was there. 

Anyways, I got her out and got her bags out of the car. When I got back in my car, I realized that my car phone charger wasn't there anymore and that my favorite (Christian!) CD was no longer in the CD player. When I got home, I realized that I couldn't find the brownies that were in my back seat.


But hey, all I could think about was getting out of my car. And how in the world would I ever get the smell out? 

I mean, I felt sorry for my 4th cousin once removed, but she also stole my stuff. 
That was slightly annoying.
I got home and asked my granddad about her.
She's not actually related to him.
He's never heard of her.
Don't know how she lied to me about that... 

So strange. 
I feel violated.

Ok, I'm just kidding about this whole thing. 
Didn't have anything interesting to blog about.

No comments: