Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Christmas Music

Thankful Day Four:

Christmas music.

Lately I've started listening to Christmas music on a regular basis. Yes, I realize that it is November 4th (and I've even enjoyed it in the summer), but I have to weight my love for the music with the fact that it is only "acceptable" to listen to it for so short a time. There are only 29 days of the year this year (from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas) to listen to it, and that is only 7.9% of the year for an entire genre of music.

Plus, it's not just any genre of music, it's a joyful one, a meaningful one, and a comforting one. When I turn it on, memories come back to me of wearing bright red sweaters with dresses and thick black tights, staring at the huge lit up star hanging off the side of the mountain, as a child in my grandmother's house playing with cousins, and sitting in church during the Christmas hymns, comparing the choir to angels. How amazing is it that we have so many songs, all to celebrate Jesus' birth?

So, that's what I'm thankful for- music that celebrates our Savior, brings childhood memories back, and never fails to bring joy and put me in a good mood.

If you're like me, go ahead and turn on the carols. Be excited for the upcoming season! (If you're not like me, I'll call you Scrooge.)



Some people have told me these past few days what they are thankful for, so I thought I'd include the ones that I can remember:
-The ability to smell, specifically Glade Cinnamon Spice plug-ins
-10 fingers and 10 toes
-Deodorant
-Mel (me) having eyebrows and a phone that can text
-Contacts
-Mountains in Tennessee